SAF is a big help

Richard Fox rcfox at igc.apc.org
Fri Jan 17 18:21:06 EST 1997

The SAF will never keep all its diverse members happy.  Some people
lately in this list have complained about SAF promoting ecosystem
management and other feel good, politically correct, environmentally
oriented hogwash...  SAF has often taken positions that hard-core
industry foresters rebel at...  but they are working hard to move
foresters forward before they become totally irrelevant and lose what
little respect they have left with the American public... who increasingly
sees foresters as lackies of a forest industry with no social
conscience or sense of moral responsibility.

The American public wants foresters to be thinking about sustainability
issues and managing the FORESTS, for a lot more than just how many trees
can be clearcut this year!  Foresters can and should play a powerful
role in managing and protecting forests... even corporate
foresters... but they continue to throw away their credibility and much
of their social value by espousing arrogantly that THEY don't need none
of that feely touchy stuff... WE don't want to be sensitive and our
professional society shouldn't try to drag us kicking into the
twentieth century. Heck... It might be good for us.. and we can't be
having that, now can we...

Well listen up bubba, corporate foresters or government... we serve
at the whim and grace of the American public.  If we are being chased off
of the national forests... and now even private forests..  it is not because
of some damn environmentalists and some spotted owls... It is because
the public is not supporting us blindly any more.  If we continue to
arrogantly tell everyone we don't want to be better listeners..that we
don't want to learn to work cooperatively.. well we just won't have
to.. because people will just keep ignoring us more and more and we will
lose more ground as individuals and as a profession.

SAF is NOT all it could be.  But it is willing to fight FOR our
profession with neanderthals who are unable or unwilling to see the
trouble we have brought down UPON OURSELVES by our shortsightedness and
preoccupation with harvesting everything that stands still.

If you are not worried about them owls becoming obsolete, you might
wonder if anyone will care if foresters go that way too....???

Richard W. Fox
President
Global Resource Consultants