forest activity

Lindsey Morin lmorindc at mcn.org
Sun Jan 26 15:11:55 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> I work in Southeastern Pennsylvania.  The consulting field is very crowded
> due to the largest employer of foresters peeving his employees and most
> have set up some sort of consulting business.  At one time, this employer
> had 28 foresters trying to locate timber - from Northern PA to Virginia.
> Each forester was put on a quota..buy 200 Mbf per month or else.  Several
> had been fired.  The management on their jobs was pitiful.  Any red oak
> over 14 inches was gone.  Residual stocking composed mainly of red maple
> (which is generally wormy in these parts) and black birch.  BAF was
> generally about 20 to 40 - hardly a well-stocked stand.  To make matters
> worse, he has replaced most foresters with salesmen and real estate
> agents..anyone can buy timber.  Their purchase price for timber is about
> half of market value, but, with their large staff, they can cover much more
> territory then any consultant.  We can only hope that these types of
> "timber barons" will mismanage their business into oblivion.
>
> I have pretty much stayed out of the woods.  The landowners with nice
> timber are getting quite tired of someone knocking on the door every couple
> of weeks wanting to buy their timber.  It gets pretty discouraging.  So as
> an alternative, I focused on the utlization aspect of forestry.  I figured
> if I could help the mills make more money, they could pay more for
> timber..trickle down theory.  My mainstay is sawing.  I saw mainly for one
> firm, but do consulting in mill setups and mill management.  I even helped
> to site a co-generation facility in PA.  I can use a lot of the scientific
> applications of forestry but put it on mill activity instead.  One nice
> thing, mills are generally easier to get along with then a large landowner
> base.  I can talk their language, they pay regularly, and I don't have to
> go into lengthy sales pitches which involves a short course in forest
> management.

Greetings Ron, from redwood country.

Have worked both sides of the fence, consulting and currently as an
industrial forester, industry seems to be easier to deal with.  It is
hard to convince a private landowner with 50 acres to invest in his land
after harvest; ie. vegetation management, planting, site prep, when they
see their profit margine being diminished.