New Group

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Jan 27 06:37:03 EST 1997

In article <32E7A099.323F at livingston.net>,
Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote:

> I am still unsure of what agroforestry is, that we consultants and dirt
> on the boots types aren't doing as well.  I grow trees to sell for my
> clients.  I take what steps are necessary to produce as good a product in
> as short a time as possible.  Sounds like agriculture to me.

Just so.  If agroforestry doesn't mean growing trees, there are no
agroforesters using this group to tell us so.  There are a few
co-cropping opportunities, like livestock grazing before the canopy
closes over, and ginseng production in the forest understory, but
those are a part of normal woodlot operations.  I can see coppice
management as a valid topic on this group too.

-- Larry