New Group

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Jan 27 15:12:17 EST 1997

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <32E7A099.323F at livingston.net>,
> Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote:
>
> > I am still unsure of what agroforestry is, that we consultants and dirt
> > on the boots types aren't doing as well.  I grow trees to sell for my
> > clients.  I take what steps are necessary to produce as good a product in
> > as short a time as possible.  Sounds like agriculture to me.
>
> Just so.  If agroforestry doesn't mean growing trees, there are no
> agroforesters using this group to tell us so.  There are a few
> co-cropping opportunities, like livestock grazing before the canopy
> closes over, and ginseng production in the forest understory, but
> those are a part of normal woodlot operations.  I can see coppice
> management as a valid topic on this group too.
>
> -- Larry

Guess I are one, then. >G<.  We manage for full environmental benefit for our clients,
when we get the chanch.  We have worked to preserve some species of plants that are not
listed as rare and endangered in Texas, but aren't found that much, either.  We are just
now setting up a large acreage for cattle grazing to reduce the brush without the use of
chemicals.  Amazing what a herd of Brahmins can do.