New Group

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Tue Jan 28 11:27:16 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> Larry Caldwell wrote:
> >
> > In article <32E7A099.323F at livingston.net>,
> > Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I am still unsure of what agroforestry is, that we consultants and dirt
> > > on the boots types aren't doing as well.  I grow trees to sell for my
> > > clients.  I take what steps are necessary to produce as good a product in
> > > as short a time as possible.  Sounds like agriculture to me.
> >
> > Just so.  If agroforestry doesn't mean growing trees, there are no
> > agroforesters using this group to tell us so.  There are a few
> > co-cropping opportunities, like livestock grazing before the canopy
> > closes over, and ginseng production in the forest understory, but
> > those are a part of normal woodlot operations.  I can see coppice
> > management as a valid topic on this group too.
> >
> > -- Larry
>
> Guess I are one, then. >G<.  We manage for full environmental benefit for our clients,
> when we get the chanch.  We have worked to preserve some species of plants that are not
> listed as rare and endangered in Texas, but aren't found that much, either.  We are just
> now setting up a large acreage for cattle grazing to reduce the brush without the use of
> chemicals.  Amazing what a herd of Brahmins can do.

 Me too, I think. Agroforestry is more inclusive of what we really do on
the ground.  A client gets the benefit of all the consultant's
experience and much of it may not be the pure industrial line.  We
(generally) have some time to talk and find out what they really want,
not just what they said.  There is a difference and I think that that is
what separates the small business from the big ones.

M. Hagen