forest activity

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 20:00:18 EST 1997

In article <32EBBA8B.44EB at mcn.org>, Lindsey Morin <lmorindc at mcn.org>
writes
>Ron Wenrich wrote:
>>
>> I work in Southeastern Pennsylvania.  The consulting field is very crowded
>> due to the largest employer of foresters peeving his employees and most
>> have set up some sort of consulting business.  At one time, this employer
>> had 28 foresters trying to locate timber - from Northern PA to Virginia.
>> Each forester was put on a quota..buy 200 Mbf per month or else.  Several
>> had been fired.  The management on their jobs was pitiful.  Any red oak
>> over 14 inches was gone.  Residual stocking composed mainly of red maple
>> (which is generally wormy in these parts) and black birch.  BAF was
>> generally about 20 to 40 - hardly a well-stocked stand.  To make matters
>> worse, he has replaced most foresters with salesmen and real estate
>> agents..anyone can buy timber.  Their purchase price for timber is about
>> half of market value, but, with their large staff, they can cover much more
>> territory then any consultant.  We can only hope that these types of
>> "timber barons" will mismanage their business into oblivion.
>>
>> I have pretty much stayed out of the woods.  The landowners with nice
>> timber are getting quite tired of someone knocking on the door every couple
>> of weeks wanting to buy their timber.  It gets pretty discouraging.  So as
>> an alternative, I focused on the utlization aspect of forestry.  I figured
>> if I could help the mills make more money, they could pay more for
>> timber..trickle down theory.  My mainstay is sawing.  I saw mainly for one
>> firm, but do consulting in mill setups and mill management.  I even helped
>> to site a co-generation facility in PA.  I can use a lot of the scientific
>> applications of forestry but put it on mill activity instead.  One nice
>> thing, mills are generally easier to get along with then a large landowner
>> base.  I can talk their language, they pay regularly, and I don't have to
>> go into lengthy sales pitches which involves a short course in forest
>> management.
>
>Greetings Ron, from redwood country.
>
>Have worked both sides of the fence, consulting and currently as an
>industrial forester, industry seems to be easier to deal with.  It is
>hard to convince a private landowner with 50 acres to invest in his land
>after harvest; ie. vegetation management, planting, site prep, when they
>see their profit margine being diminished.
Hello all, especially the originator.  I was apalled at seeing this
story.  If you put a similar message on alt. pagan and alt. wicca
newsgroups and add that you want help I would not be at all surprised to
find pagans everywhere - but local to you in particular - up in arms
about the money grubbing son of thef a skunk's armpit who does these
awful things (if the story is true).  So, do please put the message up
asking for help both magical (sending energy to woods and taking it from
perpetrator maybe) and practical.  I think that if I lived locally I'd
organise pagans and other fairly green folk into a picket of operator's
premises and some more insiduous things.  (Though of course legal.)

This business needs curbing and practical steps are possible in that
direction.  Also, be prepared to have helpers turning up out of the
woodwork (and woods) dressed in everything from suits to nothing and
back to beads.  It is up to you to organise them though some of them
will surprise you.  In any event you'll make many interesting new
friends.  You could also try a forked approach (sic) in getting the
Christians in from the other side.  The Xians & Pags. have more in
common than most think. (:-).

Regards,   Les,   Tree Wizard of The White Brethren.

Les Ballard         Les at gates.demon.co.uk

c/o BM: Gates of Annwn       (The Pagan contact magazine)
London WC1N 3XX,  U.K.       44+(0)1708 670431

No copyright statement is attached as the author is litigious.