Trees don't make Oxygen , ocean does

Todd M. Bolton tmbolton at erols.com
Tue Jul 22 18:13:28 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> Todd M. Bolton wrote:
> >
> > Joseph Zorzin wrote:
> >
> > snips
> > > The diameter growth rate of trees decreases as the tree matures, but
> > > that's over a larger circumferance- so the amount of carbon fixed may be
> > > the same- if the tree is healthy. However, many large trees are decaying
> > > at the core- even while healthy on the outside.
> > >

> > I realize we are getting a bit far off the title, but you have made the
> > statement that "many large trees are decaying at the core" several times.  I
> > am curious about how many you have found this to be true of in what
> > situatoins, and if you have discovered a cause of the injuries that led to
> > the fungal entrance?

 snips

> But, a short answer to your question is that most damage to the trees in
> my area is caused by BAD logging in the past. Logging equipment can
> easily rip the bark off the trees and run over exposed roots. This
> damage results in millions of dollars of damage over the long term. This
> damage is far more destructive to forests than erosion, and habitat
> damage. The ground vegetation and the fauna seem to adjust fine to the
> most violent and hideous logging. But the dollar value of the future
> forests can be damage to the extent of 90%.
>
> (I added bionet.agroforestry to the list)
> --
> http://forestmeister.com
> "The ONLY forester's web page in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts".
It took me a while to get back from vaca but,  If your are involved in second, or
third, crop forestry I can understand the root damage induced heart rots you keep
seeing.  I *do not* see the same conditions around here during clearing for
construction.  Most of the forests I see removed are second or third phase
succession after farm abandonment, and so have not suffered through previous logging
operations. In htses operations the rotted log is the oddball.