position open

JANG at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU JANG at FRODO.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Jun 5 15:25:22 EST 1997

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE
Plant Molecular Biology/Biotechnology (PMBB) Group/
Horticulture and Crop Science
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio USA

A postdoctoral position is available to investigate the sugar
sensing and signal transduction pathway in higher plants.
Using a combination of biochemical, genetic and molecular
approaches, we have identified the first plant sugar sensor,
hexokinase (Plant Cell 6, 1665-1679; Plant Cell 9, 5-19;
Trends in Plant Science 2, 208-214). Future projects include:
the characterization of transgenic Arabidopsis with aberrant
levels of hexokinase, the identification of other components
that are involved in the sugar signal transduction pathway
and the investigation of interactions between sugar and other
signaling pathways.

A second project to study plant steroid hormones is also
available. We have identified several classes of Arabidopsis
mutants that are involved in steroid hormone
biosynthesis/signaling pathway. A T-DNA tagged brassinolide
insensitive mutant with extra long life (ell) and
uncontrolled meristematic activity has been analyzed. ell
appears to have a lesion in a sterol reductase gene. Future
work include: the characterization of the ell  mutant, the
investigation of the function of ELL, and the analysis of
other mutants.

The position will be in the Plant Molecular
Biology/Biotechnology (PMBB) Group/ Horticulture and Crop
Science Department, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
USA. Candidates should have demonstrated experience and
publications in molecular biology, genetics or cell biology.

Applicants should send a curriculum vitae, a brief statement
of research interest and names and phone numbers and e-mail
address of 3 references (PREFERRED BY E-MAIL) to:

Jyan-Chyun Jang
JANG at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu

Department of Molecular Biology
Wellman 1117
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA 02114
Phone 617-726-5916
Fax	 617-726-6893

PS:	I would be very happy to meet with interested
individuals at the Madison Arabidopsis Meeting (June 25-29,
1997).