Fire lookout towers

Michael Hagen mhagen at mail.olympus.net
Fri Jun 13 11:28:08 EST 1997

Grusing wrote:

> Are there any other fire tower alumni out there?  It has been years since I
> was on the towers in Oregon.  It was a great life.  Are there still active
> fire towers in your area?  The Oregon coast has gone to airplane or
> helicopters so there is no place left close to show my daughters.  Where
> was your tower and when were you living there?

Ahh, the good old days...
I served two fire seasons on Orleans Mt. (northern California,on the
line between the Six Rivers and Klamath Forests), 1976-77 or 78(it has
been awhile) and a short time on a verry tall, very skinny cab near
Friendship, Wisconsin about 1968. After the Orleans lookout job I was
the recon plane observer for the next season. Hot stuff thereabouts!