Court Bans Raw Log Imports

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Fri Jun 13 20:10:59 EST 1997

Unfortunately, the regs don't mention anything about the critters that come
aboard pallets and crates from other countries.  New York City is having a
time trying to control a beetle from China, which comes aboard crating.  I
believe it is the Rhinoceros beetle.  It carves out 1/2" holes in the
trees.  The City is cutting down the trees and burning.

We already have a quarantine on logs from gypsy moth areas which are being
exported or taken outside the quarantine area.  I don't know how rigorous
it is enforced.  The moth is know to hitch on motor homes, cars, etc. from
infected areas.

RDW