Old growth forest logging

Gary Beilby BVMS beilby at highway1.com.au
Sat Jun 14 21:25:23 EST 1997

D. Braun wrote:

> On 22 Feb 1997, wbg wrote:
> > Give me a break, and check your facts before recyclying the
> > anti-capitalist Greens crap. We have more trees today in North America
> > than we had in 1900. Since that verifiable fact might impair your
> > ideologically bent polemics, you'd prefer to pretend it doesn't exist>
>
> Straight from the Limbaugh show.  This "more trees..." factoid is a stinky
> red herring that someone should cart off and bury.  The issue isn't the
> number of stems/ac, its the wisdom of swapping intensively managed,
> roaded, short rotation tree farms for primary forest. Somewhere around 5%
> in the lower 48, and somewhere between 8 and 15% in the PNW.
>  Our society uses wood products, fine--- but we don't need to grow them on
> every acre. There are other considerations.

This is exactly the same myth perpetuated by Western Australia's CALM
(Dept of Conservation [hah!] and Land Management.  Biodiversity is
clearly worth nothing to these statistics.  To them 30,000 year old
bluegum saplings are 100% equivilant to 30,000 500 year old mixed karri,
marri and jarrah trees.

> > : > Environmental laws have created more jobs than those lost.
> >
> > Do you happen to have any documentation for this rather dubious assertion?
>
> It is true that in a period since the Dwyer injunction (1989?) against
> cutting NSO habitat, around 100,000 jobs accrued in OR--- which replaced
> the jobs working in the timber industry in that period several times over.
> Based on my recollections of this issue as reported in the media, around
> 10 -20 thousand jobs were lost due to a reduced supply of old-growth logs.
>  Clinton supported $ for retraining, business development, and habitat
> restoration--- and has had amounts reduced by the Repubs.
> Much of the job growth in OR and WA jas been tied to the quality of life
> here, causing people to move here and start businesses--- and part of the
> quality of life is wilderness, designated or otherwise.
> And, there are the recreation jobs.

Again, the same stories and misinformation in Australia.  A classic case
in point, the decommisioning of the Albany whaling station some decades
ago.  The whalers were of course up in arms about the threat to their
livelyhoods and the bleak outlook they faced.  Now, decades hence, it is
widely accepted that the shutdown was one of the best things ever to
happen to Albany's economy, small business flourished, the toursm
industry boomed and the town has never looked back.

Sorry to reply to a post so ancient, but they were points I had to make.

If you've read this far, please take the time to visit the homepages of
the Western Australian Forest Alliance:
http://www.highway1.com.au/arts/wizards/karri
And send your support to the protestors currently succesfully halting
logging operations in the old growth forests.  Their innovative
strategys have stopped the loggers in their tracks and have received
accolades from around the world.
--
Gary Beilby   Digital Wizards   http://www.highway1.com.au/arts/wizards
	http://www.highway1.com.au/arts/wizards/karri