What is happening to Ilanthus trees?

Hambone hambone9 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 15 11:01:44 EST 1997

I live in North Eastern New Jersey, about 8 miles West of NYC and I have
noticed just this morning that the perennial tree of the New Jersey
meadowlands, Ilanthus, seems to be suffering from some sort of disease.

I was always under the impression that not even railroad defoliant could
suppress these trees for very long ( they grow profusely along rail
beds)
but something is affecting the trees in the New Jersey area.

The tops of the trees are either denuded of leaves, or they are wilted
and dying. This is amongst trees that are foliated this year. There were
a number ( perhaps 10-15% ) which seemed to have already died. Almost
ALL trees displayed symptoms from the groups that I saw, which were at
the western edge of the meadowlands.

Anybody have any info?

Hambone