trees relationship

McKenney d_mckenney at conknet.com
Sun Jun 15 08:48:42 EST 1997

I have a very strong relationship with trees of all sizes and shapes and
species here in New Hampshire. As a forester I manage the trees on my
client's properties for lumber, firewood, and fiber. In addition I enhance
wildlife habitat, protect water quality and soil productivity. But my
primary relationship with these trees is an economic one: they provide a
valuable product to this region and allow lots of people to enjoy not only
the basics of life---food, clothing and shelter---but also some of the
extras of life.

suggest you read a good wood technology textbook and look at the
description of all the specialty products made from particular species.
Here's a few examples:  white birch---tongue depressors and paint stirring
sticks;  white oak---tight cooperage barrels;  white ash---baseball bats
and hockey sticks; black walnut---a preferred species for gunstocks;
chestnut and white cedar----naturally resistant to decay when placed
directly on the soil;  eastern red cedar---naturally aromatic and used to
line cedar closets;  sitka spruce---light and strong, used for airplane
construction; white pine---used by the British for ship masts in colonial
times, the King's broad arrow mark on such trees infuriated the colonists
and contributed to the American Revolution; sugar maple---in addition to
flooring for bowling alleys and gymnasiums the sap is boiled to make maple
syrup. These are just a few of the top of my head.