CO2 Treaty Dead On Arrival

Julianne R Bauer juli at alpha3.csd.uwm.edu
Tue Jun 24 23:11:58 EST 1997

Who's after political power?  I could care diddly about the dolts who
waste all their money on political games.

I'm just tired of living in a carppy world where the Chemlawn fumes keep
me from smelling the flowers in my garden, where the litter fills the
streets and where the preponderence of concrete causes enough runoff to
flood entire neighborhoods during an early summer rain.

I've spent 2 years fighting the political powers in my village trying to
save a grove of rare trees from the developers.  We're still going to get
the condos and a tax incremental district, because the village has
defined the green space as a "blighted area" because it's not developed.
The only concession we have really won is that the developer will have to
consult with an arborist.  Big deal!  With 38 units in ll buildings and
tasteful parking and access for 76 vehicles, on less than 10 acres I give
the trees less than 2 years.  So much for our micro environment.  I'll
still have my out of zone peach and apricot trees in my part of the
sheltered valley, but the underground stream will be disrupted and who
knows what will happen?

Perhaps if we had properly managed the forests in this country instead of
hearing the siren call of the almight buck, we wouldn't be building these
luxury condos out of trashy strand board...

> > >Banning things requires political power,
and that's what the > >leaders of the environmental movement are after.