Court Bans Raw Log Imports

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Jun 26 18:42:39 EST 1997

In article <33B12214.5542 at forestmeister.com>,

> What's the quality of the Siberian timber? Is it disinfected?

Now there you're running past my knowledge.  I *think* Siberian timber
is some sort of boreal pine, but for all I know it could be spruce.

I don't even know if there is a problem pest in Siberia that could
infect local pines.  Chances are it's already here, if there is, since
they've been shipping in Siberian timber for about 5 years now.

How would you go about disinfecting timber?  Fumigation?  I know there's
a lot of opposition to using methyl bromide, but can't remember why.  It
may be just opposition to use on cereal grains.  I suppose you could build
some sort of fumigation lock to hold a barge load of timber in an air-tight
environment for several hours....