CO2 Treaty Dead On Arrival

John Alway jalway at icsi.net.SpamTransmogrifier
Sat Jun 28 11:44:01 EST 1997

jbuck at synopsys.com (Joe Buck) wrote:
>John Alway <jalway at icsi.net.SpamTransmogrifier> writes:
>>          See Dixy Lee Ray's Trashing The Planet, which gives an
>>       excellent description of bird populations during DDT spraying.

>Dixy Lee Ray has no qualifications as a life scientist.

	  She was a Dr. of Zoology, and taught at the University
	of Washington.

	  To cut to the quick, she had qualifications as a
	life scientists, and how.

>When she writes
>on such topics, she's just another opinionated lay person.  (OK, so
>am I, but at least I don't pretend otherwise).

	  I also added two more scientists to the list, anyway.

>The fact that the bald eagle was nearly driven to extinction by DDT,
>and that teh bald eagle population in the 48 contiguous states has
>made a huge recovery since the ban, is just that, a fact.

	  This is not a fact.  This was contended, but not
	established.

>>       As we know, it was claimed there was a "Silent Spring", which
>>       is absolutely contradicted by the facts.

>"Silent Spring" exaggerated, but its general thrust was correct.  We
>probably wouldn't have lost all the songbirds, as it says, probably just

	  Populations of birds went up dramatically during
	DDT spraying.  Only a few birds of prey had their
	populations diminished, and the cause was more than
	likely incorrectly attributed to DDT.

>the predators, since DDT concentrates at each step of the food chain.
>The fact that DDT makes birds' eggshells so thin that they break
>before the chick is mature was repeatedly demonstrated and observed in
>the field.  If you and Ms. Ray think killing off our national symbol
>is just hunky-dory, I'm glad you are not in charge.

	  The egg shell thinning DDT connecton is also
	highly doubtful.

>DDT was not banned based on fraud, it was banned because this was the
>appropriate action.

	  It was fraud.  Even the bureacrat who did it admitted it was
	political "Ruckelhouse" (sp?)

	  Anyway, you have to be careful of those who use the monicker
	scientist and can't deal with the facts.  A scientists must
	first and foremost deal with the evidence, regardless of how
	many medals they have received from prestegous organizations,
	the facts are supreme.

	...John