CO2 Treaty Dead On Arrival

John McCarthy jmc at steam.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 28 01:42:52 EST 1997

jbuck at synopsys.com (Joe Buck) writes:

 >John Alway <jalway at icsi.net.SpamTransmogrifier> writes:
 >>	   See Dixy Lee Ray's Trashing The Planet, which gives an
 >>	excellent description of bird populations during DDT spraying.
 >
 >Dixy Lee Ray has no qualifications as a life scientist.  When she writes
 >on such topics, she's just another opinionated lay person.  (OK, so
 >am I, but at least I don't pretend otherwise).
 >
 >The fact that the bald eagle was nearly driven to extinction by DDT,
 >and that teh bald eagle population in the 48 contiguous states has
 >made a huge recovery since the ban, is just that, a fact.
 >
 >>	As we know, it was claimed there was a "Silent Spring", which
 >>	is absolutely contradicted by the facts.
 >
 >"Silent Spring" exaggerated, but its general thrust was correct.  We
 >probably wouldn't have lost all the songbirds, as it says, probably just
 >the predators, since DDT concentrates at each step of the food chain.
 >The fact that DDT makes birds' eggshells so thin that they break
 >before the chick is mature was repeatedly demonstrated and observed in
 >the field.  If you and Ms. Ray think killing off our national symbol
 >is just hunky-dory, I'm glad you are not in charge.
 >
 >DDT was not banned based on fraud, it was banned because this was the
 >appropriate action.

Dixy Lee Ray had a bachelor's degree and a PhD in zoology, and was a
professor of biology for 27 years at the University of
Washington. Isn't that a qualification as a life scientist?

Her political and literary careers were after that.

Since Joe Buck was too lazy to look up Ray's biography before
denouncing her, we can suppose that anything else he says is equally
speculative.

-
John McCarthy, Computer Science Department, Stanford, CA 94305
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/
He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense.