Court Bans Raw Log Imports

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Jun 29 19:06:28 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Doesn't it make it hard to make management decisions without "having a clue
> to what happens to the logs"?

Well, that's a slight exageration of course; but such knowlege is not
really that important to me. I do need to know the relative value of
each timber species and the silviculture needed on each of the many
different forest types common here in western Mass.; ranging from
northern hardwoods, mixed oak types, various pine mixtures, and even
some boreal forest on hill tops. It's my goal to produce timber value
while doing all the other good stuff.

I know that red oak is the most valuable species by far. I know what to
do to grow the best oak and when to sell it. It would be fascinating to
better understand the actual wood markets- but wood markets isn't my
business- which is stumpage markets. It's not too important to me if
that oak goes into floor boards or furniture or veneer- as far as doing
my job- the better the tree the more valuable it is regardless of final
destination. When I sell timber stumpage, I usually send notices to
every possible buyer within 50-100 miles which includes quite a few.
When I meet and talk with these guys I pick up some info about log
markets to get a clue what's hot and what's not. These guys are the
experts and I leave it up to them to determine value. The guy with the
most money wins. <G> Another point is that one buyer might send the oak
to one type of mill and another buyer will send the logs into another
market altogether. There is no definitive market as you might have in
the south and west where I suspect most of the logs don't travel too
far. Here, the logs might go to Europe, to Canada or just down the road-
one mill I sell to is half a mile up the road from my house. I can drive
buy and see my logs because I put 10 times more paint on them than
anyone else- the good trees anyways.

I've never worked in a mill and I'm too busy with other things I find
more interesting than to read sawmill and woodproducts literature; I'd
rather read more about computers and the net. I'm not all that
interested in wood, but very interested in forest ecology and
silviculture.

All of which is fancy rationalization for my ignorance about wood
markets. <G>