CO2 Sequestering

P Jean-dit-Bailleul JeanDitBailleulP at sympatico.ca
Sun Mar 2 18:18:47 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

  The following was noted and forwarded as a simplistic answer to
  sequestering.  From
  Texas Forestry Association newsletter.

  "Forests are oxygen factories.  To grow a pound of wood, a typical
  tree uses nearly a
  pound and a half of carbon dioxide and gives off more that a pound
  of oxygen.  An acre
  of trees might grow 4,000 pound of  wood a year, use 5,880 pounds of
  carbon dioxide and
  give off 4,280 pounds of oxygen in the process.   When a forest gets
  old and over
  crowded, the trees barely grow.  They start to use oxygen rather
  than produce it.  An
  old forest may also have more wood decaying than growing.  Then that
  happens, the
  process reverses:  for every pound of wood decaying, a pound of
  oxygen is used and
  nearly one and a half pounds of carbon dioxide is released into the
  air."

  --
  Ego Site: http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

In the mid 80s, sciencetist have think about amazonia as the first
oxygene producer in the world. But now, we know that amazonia is a big
oxygene producer, but also a big consummer and in fact a aproximatively
no effect on oxugene concentration. Now we are investigating for boreal
forest because they seems to stock carbon for a longer time.

Philippe JEAN-DIT-BAILLEUL   1374 Moraud
Laval University    Ste Foy, Canada, Qc G1K 7P4
Tel : (418) 656 7777 ext 11211
Email : mailto:JEANDITBAILLEULP at EM.AGR.CA
Web :
http://res.agr.ca/swinenet/porcexpert/jeanditbailleulp/en/home.html