CO2 and Global Warming

Tim Morin lmorindc at mcn.org
Sun Mar 2 23:25:18 EST 1997

Ron:

Interesting that you should bring the topic of global warming.  I have
just been boning up on the subject.  As a forester on the California
Coast, I have received letter from the public that by harvesting timber I
am contributing to the green house effect, or global warming.  However,
all of the studies that I have researched indicate that it is the burning
of fossil fuel, primarily, within factories and automobiles that are the
major contributor to elevated carbon levels within the atmosphere, not
the harvesting of timber.  I realize that trees can and do use carbon in
their respiration, but lets call a spade a spade; a reduction in the use
of oil will reduce the amount of carbon that is released into the
atmosphere.  I'm sure you'll agree.

Tim Morin