Maximum number of species in a forest

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Tue Mar 4 19:34:41 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> The way I break it down is simple-
>
> I segregate the marked timber into 3 classes- 10-15", 16-19", 19" +

Ours use 16' log lengths, for southern pine, but same here.

> Then list each species, number of trees and bd. ft. vol. for each
> diamter class; and for each species whether I think on average this
> species on this lot is good, bad or ugly.
> Again, same, except, we never mention volume, re previous note on not offering any idea
of a guarantee.

> Other foresters brag about how accurate their figures are. I build in a
> nice over run, but it's consistent and all the timber buyers know what
> it is. At least they never bitch that they run short on me, like they
> often do with other foresters.

Again, same here, I try to keep it around 5%, I don't like surprises in the other
direction, neither do the buyers.

> And back on the subject of this thread- I typically have a dozen or so
> species. I wrote my own software in "C" to process the field tally.

Again, same here, with multiples by form class.  Although down here species are not as
essential, hard wood generally sells for sewer lumber (board road and such, a very
little for grade) at $65 to $100.00 per thousand.  Pine at the same time is running to
$450.00 per thousand.
> --
> http://forestmeister.com
>
> "The only forester's web page in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts".

Two in Texas, so far.

--
Ego Site: http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/