fires in woodchippings

D Pal ELB95DP at shef.ac.uk
Fri Mar 14 07:03:28 EST 1997

I am doing a project on using electronics to detect and give warning of the
possiblity of fire in a pile of woodchippings.
The group I am working for is worried that the wood will be decomposed by
bacteria which will produce heat and possibly set the dry surface of the pile
alight (similar to fires caused in compost heaps).
The piles has a volume of 70m3. I need some information on the biology behind
these fires (such as waste products from the bacteria, heat produced , speed
of heating, etc.).
Also does anyone know of a fire that has actually been started in this way?
I would be grateful for any help received on this subject.
Thanks,
Aunkon.