fires in woodchippings

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Fri Mar 14 11:42:01 EST 1997

D Pal wrote:
> Also does anyone know of a fire that has actually been started in this way?
> I would be grateful for any help received on this subject.
> Thanks,
> Aunkon.

stack fires are not unusual in the TExas heat and humidity.  Both bark
and chip piles catch from spontanious combustion.  Normally the point of
ignition is within the stack, not on the surface, with a slow smoldering
fire that is a terror to put out.  Here, heat build up can begin within a
few days of pile construction.  Some fires have started in chip vans that
have been loaded from standing piles and set in the van for a few days,
or the temperature of the chips is such that when exposed to air they
ignite fairly readily.

With current markets the piles don't usually stand long enough without
some working of the material.  Keeping the material rolling releases the
heat build up, drys it out some, and reduces the number of flair ups.

Sorry, nothing scientific, just observations.
--
Ego Site: http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/