forestry on private land in Europe??

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Mar 25 05:56:59 EST 1997

McKenney wrote:

> In fact, I believe that private ownership---individual or family, not
> necessarily corporate---is the best for the resource. As a consultant who
> has managed land for well over 20 years this has proven true in my
> experience.

Well, in my area of western Massachusetts, many consultants have gone
broke trying to convince landowners to go under a management program.
Meanwhile the state continues to support in a comfortable style a dozen
or so "service foresters" whose only job is to put their signatures on
work done by half starving consultants. And of course these state people
are supervised by a "Chief" and countless "Directors", secretaries and
who knows how many other people; with all the other expenses of vehicles
and offices, etc. For 20 years I've been after them to help out in the
public relations effort of convincing the landowners to do forestry and
they refuse, or what little effort they might have made convinced NOBODY
to go under forestry. Then there is an entire other office consisting of
Stewardship people; and another office in the Federal A.S.C.S. office
just to manage a miniscule amount of money for forestry subsidies; then
I was shocked to find out just yesterday that the Harvard Forest in the
middle of the state has 40 people working on forest research, all of
which is absolutely useless.

It really ticks me off to think that there are several dozen bureaucrats
in this state who supposedly have something to do with forestery that
have their incredibly comfortable middle class lifestyles- and none of
whom contribute ANYTHING to the reality of forestry as I see it. These
folks exist by going to each other's meetings where they give each other
awards, writing memoes to each other, designing forms for me to fill
out, phony research, and then they have the nerve to insist that I
attend their "workshops" so I can "learn" from them. The consultants in
this state are treated like antibellum cotton pickers. Most have starved
and gone out of business; while the bureaucrats give each other awards.
Then maybe once or twice per year I get a letter from one of these
idiots saying they have managed through great struggle to come with up
with another few thousand bucks for Stewardship subsidies- that the
starving consultants can divide among themselves, if they can manage to
convince some landowner to do something. It's so fucking absurd it makes
me want to start a revolution.

Regarding landowners around here, they're mostly very wealthy- minimum
upper middle class. The vast majority don't do any forestry, despite
decades of consultants practically begging them- and mostly going bust
in the process, all while the fat and lazy bureaucrats are handing each
other those awards. All of this is just a typical example in America of
those who do the work getting exploited by useless and unproductive
people. But of course in many industries the situation is far worse. The
megacorporations just fire everyone and move their factory to Mexico or
China; while tripling the salaries of the executives and while the
companies stock value soars.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Something's gotta give. The
day will come when the ordinary working people of this country stand up
and fight back.