Pleurotus ostreatus: hybrid cottonwood production

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Mar 25 20:31:47 EST 1997

In article <859153340.20144 at dejanews.com>, dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> Since the methods of stump inoculation varied, these results may be of
> interest to others interested in cultivating mushrooms outdoors.

[innoculation techniques deleted]

A very interesting article, Daniel.  However, you didn't note the date
of the innoculation.

For those not familiar with the climate of Western Oregon, we have a
marine climate with reliable rainfall through the fall, winter and spring
months, with a summer drought.  No rainfall for 60 days is a common
occurance in July and August.

Planting a crop in the spring means you have to rely on residual moisture
to support the maturing plant.  The same would be true of fungi.  Just on
speculation, I would guess that a fall innoculation would allow the
mycelium to become better established before encountering drought stress.

It may be that the kerf innoculated stumps didn't fruit because the kerf
dehydrated easily and the spawn died before it could grow into a moisture
retaining section of the stump.  The plastic covering the surface
innoculation would also retain moisture in the wood and provide a more
amiable environment for the spawn.  It might be interesting to cover a
kerf innoculation with plastic to see what results.

-- Larry