forestry on private land in Europe??

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Wed Mar 26 20:04:59 EST 1997

As I see it, the landowners in this country deserve the forest management
they get.  I have been in the Yellow Pages for 20 years and haven't got
more than 1 or 2 responses.  I've advertised in newspapers, magazines, and
even tried direct mailings (landowners of 50 acres and up) to little avail.
 To put it bluntly, landowners just aren't interested in forest management.

This may be due to several factors.  The general psyche in this country is
"I want it now".  It is hard to sell an intangible, such as forest
management, if the purchaser has no guarantee of an immediate return.

Secondly, landowners have a tough time divorcing the idea that consultants
and loggers are two different animals.  How often have you tried to sell
your services that didn't involve selling timber?  I'd rather do other
things then sell timber.

Thirdly, you have a bunch of procurement foresters running around trying to
buy anything that will yield about 50 bf of lumber.  The condition of these
stands after "professional forestry" is used is pitiful.  Stocking levels
are way down, and residuals are nothing worthwhile (red maple, hemlock, and
hickory).

I was wondering if a Forest Practices Act has had any influence on forest
management in states that has instituted it.  I think it's a good idea to
have all professionals in the woods licensed.  This would include foresters
as well as loggers.  Tax incentives may be offered to those carrying out
good forest stewardship.  As for the state reviewing private forester's
work, I would welcome it.  It may help eliminate some of the problems of
economic clearcuts.  But, it would only work as long as the state is not
rubber stamping the plans.  Anybody out there have experience with working
in a state with a Forest Practices Act?