forestry on private land in Europe??

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Mar 27 01:32:34 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Secondly, landowners have a tough time divorcing the idea that consultants
> and loggers are two different animals.  How often have you tried to sell
> your services that didn't involve selling timber?  I'd rather do other
> things then sell timber.

Particularly when the loggers call themselves "timber consultants or
forestry consultants" and smear the consulting forester with their
brush.

> Thirdly, you have a bunch of procurement foresters running around trying to
> buy anything that will yield about 50 bf of lumber.  The condition of these
> stands after "professional forestry" is used is pitiful.  Stocking levels
> are way down, and residuals are nothing worthwhile (red maple, hemlock, and
> hickory).

Agreed.

> I was wondering if a Forest Practices Act has had any influence on forest
> management in states that has instituted it.  I think it's a good idea to
> have all professionals in the woods licensed.

Only if the licensing process is not in the hands of the state agency.
They are generally not qualified to judge a consultants performance,
most have little if any practicle experience in the woods.

<Tax incentives may be offered to those carrying out
> good forest stewardship.

Texas has tax incentives with their ad valorem tax for timber land, but
it does not require intensive forestry work, just a plan, readily
available, for free, from the state agency with an 20 minuet walk over.

<As for the state reviewing private forester's work, I would welcome
it.  It may help <eliminate some of the problems of economic clearcuts.
But, it would only work as long <as the state is not rubber stamping the
plans.

No.  State reviews become punitive "Do it our way, or else".  As stated
above, some fresh faced forester right out of school (Most state
agencies don't pay enough to attracked the older, experience foresters)
will tell you how the text was written, with no concept that the text
was written for Oregon, germany, or East Jibip.  My experience with
state agency inspectors is that they need a topo to find their butt.
Most consultants in Texas have stopped vendor work because of state
inspection.

<Anybody out there have experience with working in a state with a Forest
Practices Act?

Licensed foresters need to be licensed by a seperate faction than a
state agency, who enforces the rules with them?  I'd rather see the
consultants establish themselves as the guiding factor for licensing.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/