Logging Aesthetics

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Mar 27 12:47:45 EST 1997

Joseph Zorzin wrote:

> Don Staples wrote:
> >
> > The Texas Forestry Association has a loggers "Best Managment Practice"
> > hand book that addresses much of the aesthetics problems here in Texas,
> > they can be reached at 409-632-8733.  Should fit in in Arkansas as well.
>
> Well, Don, someday when the T.F.A. is as internet savvy as you are,
> perhaps they might publish their B.M.A. on the net. You should volunteer
> to be the T.F.A.'s "Internet Czar". <G>

Czar?  Hell, I can't even tell my kids what to do!  Anyway, the BMP
booklet is produced and published under the leadership of the "Logging
Council" part of the TFA.  The companies (not the independents) are
making serious efforts to correct both the image and practice of
logging.  In doing so, they are dragging the independent contractors
with them screaming and kicking.  The booklet covers most of the
problem  areas in Texas logging (by the way, 18 inches of rain over the
past 3 months has slowed the practice of BMP's for loggers to a crawl,
"got to keep the mill running".)from stream crossings to reseeding drag
roads, sets, and access roads.  They do not address clear cuts on
private tracts.

TFA has a web site, but like most associations, neither time or
personnel to keep it on the "cutting edge" and the booklet would take up
mega pages.  Go to my web page for a link to the TFA.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/