Logging Aesthetics

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Mar 27 12:37:00 EST 1997

McKenney wrote:

> Wait a minute, I'm proud of the work I can do as a forester and the work
> that loggers I contract with can do. I see no reason to leave a buffer
> strip along roads or boundary lines. Doing so implies that my work must be
> hidden. It's time for forestry to stop its retreat and start going forward.
> Real forestry does not need to be hidden! I've got acres of work that I am
> most proud to display.

As am I, but, you still face the public preception of what you did and
how it looks.  It is not so much to hide your work, as to salve the
public image.  Forestry isnot in retreat, it is in bivouac.  Until the
public gets used to the idea that forests can be managed, short or long
term, that all natural stands are transitory, we stand little chance of
changing the publics concept of us.  We are all "sterile plantation"
planters and managers to them, but, they do far worse to their lands
through neglect.

It's the image they have, and we haven't changed it.
--
Ego Stroke:  http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/