The M.A.O.C.F.

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Nov 4 07:13:07 EST 1997

I HEREBY DECLARE INTO EXISTENCE THE M.A.O.C.F.

It is my personal opinion that the MAPF (Mass. Assoc. of Professional
Foresters) has NOT fulfilled its potential role of leadership for our
profession primarily due to the fact that it is dominated by state
foresters who have a different agenda than we consultants. I strongly
feel that we consultants and the state foresters have little in common
and therefore we should have a seperate group either in addition to or
in replacement of the MAPF.

So I have initiated the Massachuesetts Assoc. of Online Consulting
Foresters:

1. the group should avoid formalities to avoid becomming another
bureaucracy, instead, the MAOCF should be a "virtual community"
2. the only requirement for membership is that the person has at minimum
a degree from a 2 year forestry school and that he/she earns much if not
most of his living as a forestry consultant AND that the person has an
online presense
3. the primary purpose of the group is to fight for the betterment of
all forestry consultants working in Massachusetts, just like any other
"trade" organization- by pushing for a better forester licensing law
which will necessitate licensed foresters managing all timber sales and
preparing all Ch. 61 plans, group efforts at promoting forestry, etc.
4. we should avoid leadership roles since online communities function
fine without formally declared leaders
5. all communication can be carried out online with NO meetings, instead
we each have a list of email addresses of all other members and we send
all messages to all other members, this should be an egalitarian group
6. no meetings, no fees, no obligations, no bullshit
7. for "real time",group discussions, there exists "internet chat"
software with which a "meeting room" will exist 24 hours per day, so you
can just drop in and chat

Forestry consultants in Massachusttes have been chattering about this
for decades. We now have the interet. It's time to act. The MAOCF now
exists. Participate. Otherwise I'll get bored talking to myself. <G>

Please forward this document to other online forestry consultants
working in Massachusett or mail copies to foresters you know who are not
online. Spread the word.

Joe Zorzin
http://www.forestmeister.com

check out - Thomas Paine "Common Sense" at
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/bartleby/paine/