Oregon Timber

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Nov 6 09:42:45 EST 1997

Nick Ananin wrote:

> Don wrote:
>
> >State foresters drop proposal to make logging the leading use
>
> >"The fear right now is legal challenges" over harvests.
> >
> >"This is Oregon's last chance to create a rule that will provide a
> >stable timber supply."
> >
> >Copyright 1997 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
> >This material may not be published, broadcast,
> >rewritten, or redistributed.
> >

> --
> Don Staples
> UIN 4653335
>
> My Ego Stroke:  http://livingston.net/dstaples/
>
> A bit frightening. This is exactly the sort of issues we should be debating
> and fighting for.
>
> What you want to ask the folk of Oregon is this: Do they want to carry on
> using non renewables (plastics, concrete etc.) or use imports such as paper
> and other products from Bamboo? Or do they want to provide themselves and
> future generations with sustainable suplies of a renewable product -
> TIMBER!!  Because if they go down the slippery slope towards total
> protection of forests what mechanism will there be to reverse such
> decisions?
>
> Don, have you produced any News Release on this topic?
>
> Nick Ananin , Vision Forestry, Aberdeen, Scotland

Yes, and no.  News release locally has the effect of throwing a stone in
the ocean, tempory splash, then lost from sight,  regional releases come
only from US or State forestry,  Mine is advertizement.  the lead in
this type of fight has got to be from those organizations that have the
ear of the state legislature.  Unfortunately, usually, that is the state
forest service.  Consultants are not viewed as any source that is
reliable, honest, etc.  Slowly, with the consultan ts coming out of
their shells, we are being seen, if not heard.

Of all the problems we face, communications as a group is the one that
can effect us, our clients, and our resource more than anything else.
Just getting the correct word out.