Pepper Spray - No Big Deal...

Mad Scotsman Hilander at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 6 22:36:07 EST 1997

Zane wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 14:56:04 -0800, Patrick <patrickl at wco.com> wrote:
>
> >That's not true Kirk. Earth First! is famous for spiking trees to damage
> >logging equipment, specifically chain saws, and they know full well that
> >this can and has led to the injury and death of loggers.
>
> Absolute and utter rubbish.  How about posting some references.  Don't
> have any?  What a surprise, not!
>
> >The Earth First! Vs. FBI and Oakland PD lawsuit aside, Judy Barri and
> >her exhusband were injured by a bomb in the back of their car. Of course
> >Barri claims that loggers put it there and the FBI and Oakland PD
> >conspired to make it look like the bomb was theirs.
>
> I don't recall Barri claiming that she knew who put the bomb in her
> car, simply that it wasn't her or the guy who was in the car with her.
>
> Now ask yourself, would you carry a motion-sensitive bomb underneath
> the seat of a car you were driving?
>
> A federal judge has found sufficient cause to allow the lawsuit to go
> forward.  I suspect the judge is in a better position to evaluate the
> merits of the suit than you are.  Don't you agree, or do you have
> facts you'd like to share with us?

The judge ruled that the suit be allowed to go to court.  He makes no
judgement as to whether the suit will win.  It's similar to a preliminary
examination in a criminal case except even less decisive.  The outcome
remains to be seen.

> >I believe the FBI
> >and Oakland PD version that Barri and exhubbie built the bomb and were
> >going to use it, until it went off on them.
>
> And why's that?  There's certainly no evidence indicating that that's
> what happened, which is precisely why the lawsuit is going ahead.
>
> Zane

I repeat, the lawsuit is being allowed to go to trial. That's it.  No final
outcome as of yet. It's more of a moral victory so far for Barri.