First The Debate: Now Communication

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Nov 7 04:10:41 EST 1997

Nick Ananin wrote:

> What seems to be coming out loud and clear from the debate is that we as
> foresters need to start COMMUNICATING.
>
> Not only do we need to communicate with other foresters -  I use the term
> forester loosely to include anyone who really cares about forestry not just
> those employed directly in the industry - but we also need to communicate
> with our potential supporters i.e.the general public.
>
> It strikes we that we almost need to develop a 'Global Business Plan' which
> we develop into some sort of strategy. If this is what we need to do then
> we could develop this further (e.g. examine our Strengths, Weaknesses,
> Oportunities and Threats) in our debate this Saturday (5pm EST:10pm GMT)
> --
> Nick Ananin , Vision Forestry, Aberdeen, Scotland

Yes, I agree; but as I've said many times here, why doesn't the
"official leadership" of forestry ever contribute to this online debate?
We can talk all we want, but if the honchos in the "guvimint" and the
honchos in the organizations like the Soc. of American Foresters, etc.
don't even know we exist and don't care we exist- then our discussions
only serve to entertain us. And as I've stated before, we online
foresters are the true leaders because communication skills are the most
important skill of any professional and there is no better communication
skill than the internet which gives us Marshal McCluhan's "global
village". So here we are, a bunch of mud foresters rapping about grand
strategy, while the bureaucrats and organization leaders go to their
annual meetings. It's all so absurd. And I don't hesitate insulting
those Neanderthals if they deserve it. There is nothing more stupid than
people in leadership positions who aren't leading, but who think they
are. This happens periodically through history and results eventually in
revolution.

I think another reason the phony leaders don't participate is that doing
so will expose their lack of leadership skills; which all too often in
our modern world have to do more with the clothes you wear and who you
know rather than true problem solving skills and the ability to
communicate those solutions to your followers.

I'll never forget the time I went to a certain forestry "gathering" to
hear a certain forestry "leader" speak (many, many years ago). He was so
clueless I almost broke out laughing. And shortly after that I mailed
him a criticism of his "organization" only to have him reply with a
lier... I mean lawyer's letter telling me I had better RECANT for my
HERESY or I'd be sued for libel. When I passed the letter to my state
representative, the rep. called the lawyer up and threatened to have him
removed from his "organization", and shortly after this - the so called
leader found a pink slip on his desk.

Viva la forestry revolution! Storm the Bastille! Up with the internet,
down with phony leaders! <G>

The Forestmeister

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of