First The Debate: Now Communication

Will Anderson Will at drumin.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 17:48:06 EST 1997

In article <3462DC9C.24B0 at forestmeister.com>, Joseph Zorzin
<redoak at forestmeister.com> writes
>Foresters like all other people are also taught "keep your mouth shut"
>and "don't rock the boat" when you have ideas counter to the
>"leadership" or you might lose your job.
>
>Only those of us who are self-employed can afford to be "loose cannons"
>which I'm always accused of being in the so called enlightened state of
>Massachusetts for saying in public what I say here. Free thinkers have
>always been persecuted; especially in forestry, because it's a
>profession on the financial low end of the professional scale- low pay,
>little opportunity to speak up, bad leadership, no wonder we don't hear
>from more people here in the "global village".
>
>I'm sure there are many others who'd like to speak up but don't out of
>fear.
I agree with a lot of the above but I think that foresters can change
things from within the accepted structure. It takes a lot of time and
results in bouts of high blood pressure!

As a profession we deal with crops which mature over several decades, if
not centuries, so we need to accept the fact that changing the system
may take some time but it IS possible. Ok it may be hard for the
individual to accept but we are in this for the long term, aren't we?

If it all gets too much then we should have the courage of our
convictions to become self employed and then we can shoot our mouths
off!

Or am I being too idealistic:-)

Will Anderson           email: will at drumin.demon.co.uk