Friday ACF

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Nov 7 18:05:20 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> The following is an update from the National Office
> regarding its activities for the past week. Chapter
> Chairs please distribute this information to your
> chapter members.  This is Update is being transmitted
> by electronic mail to all ACF members who have
> electronic mail capabilities.  If you are currently
> receiving this via fax and would like to receive it
> via email, please send the national office an
> electronic message stating so.  If you know of ACF
> members who have email, let them know that this
> service is now available from the ACF.

Don, what's the membership now for the ACF? How many have email? How
many have web pages? Might be a good survey to do if it hasn't been
done.

> Activities for this week:
>
>    Executive Committee Conference Call
>  On Monday, the Executive Committee held its
>  November Conference Call.  A summary of the call
>  is being distributed via fax to all chapter chairs
>  and the Executive Committee.
>
>    National Research Committee Releases Non-federal
>     Lands Study
>  On Thursday, the National Research Committee
>  released its report on Nonfederal Lands (thats
>  private property for those in Rio Linda).  The
>  National Association of State Foresters released
>  a statement yesterday in support of the study.
>  Calling the report significant and timely, they
>  "pledged to work with the  Forest Service, private
>  landowners, and the American public to review and
>  implement the findings which will help manage our
>  forests for sustainability."

Blah, blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah,
blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah, blah,  blah, blah,
blah,  blah, blah, blah. Yuh, right. I've read such stuff for the last
zillion years about how the state forsters are going to do this and
going to do that, etc., etc., etc., etc. And the U.S.F.S. is going to do
this and going to do that and they're all going to work with the private
landowners, blah, blah, blah.

And as the decades go by, I go and talk to REAL LIVE landowners who
don't even know that those so called leaders even exist. WHAT A CROCK.
Then I enlighten the landowner about forestery, then I prepare a mgt.
plan, then I do the actual silviculture, etc., etc., etc. Then after I
and other consultants ACTUALLY ACOMPLISH something after years of hard
work, then THOSE PHONY LEADERS will produce a report that they can read
to each other at their next LEADERSHIP MEETINGS about how forestry
activities are growing. And they'll give each other awards to stick on
their chest like those Russian generals. <G>

>  Copies of the report are being obtained by the
>  National Office and will be available to any one
>  who requests them.  Copies of the Executive
>  Summary have been faxed to all chapter chairs and
>  the executive committee.  Please contact them to
>  see a copy of the executive summary, or contact
>  the national office.

Don, get the ACF to get with the times and produce an ACF web page. It's
brainless to use snail mail for anything or even to use fax machines.
All documents could be available instantly to everyone on the planet,
then we can get rid of those overpriced postal workers. <G>

Today I was emailing back and forth with a client and his attorney
various documents. What we did in a few hours would have taken months
the old fashioned way.

>    Planning for December New Hampshire Meeting and
>     January Study underway
>  Planning and arrangements  for the "Managing Your
>  Business" course were underway this week.  The
>  course is set for January 16-17 in either Lebanon,
>  NH, or White River Junction, VT.  A chapter
>  planning meeting is scheduled for December 2 in
>  Lebanon, NH.

Such courses should be done online and save everyone a lot of
transportation cost. But then again I could be accused of being a cynic.
<G> Meetings can be interesting, but they're expensive and often don't
result in anything. At least as much can be accomplished via the net and
MORE.

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of