Firewood Splitting

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sat Nov 8 04:17:13 EST 1997

TREEFARMER at webtv.net wrote:

> What's the fastest method for splitting 8-12"x24" elm bolts? I figure if
> it works for elm it will work for anything else. Of particular interest
> would be methods other than the usual hydraulic splitter.

Good question, don't know the answer.

Elm is almost impossible to split. You whack it and your axe or splitter
bounces off it like rubber. It might be a good sentence for crooked
politicians. Make'm stay in jail until they've split 100 cords of elm.

What I used to do is just keep chopping it up with a chainsaw.

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of