Forestry Terms of the Trade

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Mon Nov 10 02:57:56 EST 1997

Jostnix wrote:

> To Group:
>
> I have uploaded a new feature called "A Forest Products Glossary of Terms"
> which gives definitions of forest product terminology that us unique to the
> industry..I would like to keep it dynamic and ask that you help me keep it
> updated.
>
> You will find the feature at forestry.miningco.com
> Also included are glossaries from 10 other sites addressing forest policy,
> pathology, fire, basic forest landowner terms and on and on.  Good site to
> bookmark.

Interesting. I tried finding a glossary in my forestry texbooks and
couldn't find one in my ancient zillion page "Forestry Handbook". I
think back when that book came out (with lots of picutes of horses);
real woodsmen didn't read glossaries; they just went out there in the
mud and learned everything by doing it. <G>

Steve, I have to give you credit for hard work and creativity on your
web page. I may enjoy picking on them "burrocrats" because up in here
Yankeedom, I ain't yet seen any work so hard. But since I know how much
work goes into a web page, I realize you've put a lot of hours into your
home page- and you don't rest on your laurels; always adding new stuff.
Perhaps Alabama deserves better than here since your woods industry is
much bigger than up here; where it's mostly considered a nuisance by
tourists who'd rather see more shopping centers go up in our forests. Up
here in New England, the net has yet to impact the forestry industry;
despite New England having the reputation of being so sophisticated.

I looked in the German glossary for a word that I vaguely remember
seeing in some forestry texbook but I can't find it there or in any of
my books. It was the German word for a kind of all age silviculture;
whereby a small amount of trees are removed frequently- and basicly
means "the continuous forest". I remember liking that idea so I've
wanted to find that word and actually use it in my own forestry writing.
If other nations can pick up English terms when appropriate, no reason
we can't pick up words from other nations; especially German since
forestry is so old in that country. If any German speakers know that
silvicultural word I'm looking for (I'll recognize it when I see it);
please let me know.

Joe