forestry in the former Soviet Union?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Mon Nov 10 04:10:49 EST 1997

This newsgroup has been getting messages from the British Isles and
Scandinavia but I don't recall any from the former Soviet republics. Any
former Soviets out there? Are you lurking? Speak up- you can do that now
without being sent on a long vacation to Siberia. <G>

In another message Anders Axelsson mentioned the Baltic republics which
got me thinking about this.

How has the forest industry changed in Russia and the Baltics (meaning
Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) since the breakup of the "evil empire"?
What about forest product trade links with the rest of Europe?

I know local lumbermen who have visited Finland and said that the
Finnish sawmills are 15 years more advanced than American sawmills. Is
this advanced technology going to move to the Russian forests now that
Russia is semi-capitalistic? If the great Russian forests increase
productivity what will be the effect on the wood markets in northern
Europe?

--
http://forestmeister.com
"The ONLY forester's web page in the otherwise sophisticated state of