Sustainability in Sweden

Roland Jonsson roland.jonsson at pemail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:03:51 EST 1997

I did a clear cut of Pine for a few years ago and left about 150 trees per
hectare. Did not make any planting and today there are a lot of plants, I
would guess some 5000-10 000/ha, well more than enough.
This is on quite lean soil in the south of Sweden and is a well known method
to get a new forest.

Longer to the north I think it is more difficult to get new trees this way
because of the harder climate that makes the trees not produce enough seeds.

I'm very pleased with this method as I can save work and money on planting
and in the same time get a forest that can give high quality timber in about
120-130 years. The cost is that I had to wait 5 years before cutting down
the last trees (Left some for environmental reasons) and possibly a bit
higher costs for logging.

If this could be done with fir would be great, but the historical
experiences are really scary.

Best regards

Roland Jonsson, Tidaholm, Sweden
roland.jonsson at pemail.com
All e-mail sent BCC to this address will be deleted at the server for Spam
protection

<01bcedaf$b4f8df80$3f13b4c1 at SE8R62600424.hel.se.pnu.com>...