forestry in the former Soviet Union?

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Mon Nov 10 19:58:13 EST 1997

Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote in article
<3467341B.5278 at livingston.net>...
> Joseph Zorzin wrote:
> >

> > I know local lumbermen who have visited Finland and said that the
> > Finnish sawmills are 15 years more advanced than American sawmills. Is
> > this advanced technology going to move to the Russian forests now that
> > Russia is semi-capitalistic? If the great Russian forests increase
> > productivity what will be the effect on the wood markets in northern
> > Europe?

> I take humbridge to the Fin sawmills being more advanced, I have seen
> one or two of the north European mills, and where they are modern and up
> to date, nothing special beyond what we have here.  The Scandanavians
> tend to upgrade more often than American mills, but the technology is
> not that different.  We have a Scandanavian multiple band saw (slash
> gang) that has been in place about 6 years that is up dated annually by
> the firm that sold it, top grade, top technology, in a private owned
> mill near here.  As the nature of our raw stock changes, the technology
> and upgrades will kill any real or imagined difference in technology.
> Don Staples
> UIN 4653335
>
> My Ego Stroke:  http://livingston.net/dstaples/

Softwood mills, in general, are decades ahead of most hardwood mills.
Grade recovery is a higher factor than fiber recovery.  Computerized
setworks are still a rarity, although the hand mill is getting harder to
find.  Grapple skidders have come on strong in the last decade.  Feller
bunchers are rarely seen.  I've seen a few forwarders, mostly by pulp
cutters.  Felling done mainly with chain saw, and the circle mill still is
the mainstay in most mills, although band resaws are coming on, and is
probably the next link for higher production.

RDW