Logging on our National Forests

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Tue Nov 11 18:27:47 EST 1997

Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote in article
<3467D1DB.611B at livingston.net>...
> Ron Wenrich wrote:
> >
> > Don Staples <dstaples at livingston.net> wrote in article
> > <346736E1.D6E at livingston.net>...
> > > Darren J. Young wrote:
> > > >

> Incentive?  Income.  When private starts to porduce at reasonable
> levels, they will control production of the raw materials.  (I know
> company lands and all that, but private lands can produce what and where
> company lands cannot, by size, species, stockings and suit the local
> environment)  Higher stumpage prices have not been there long enough for
> the public to get into the flow of things.  In my career I have seen
> private timber go from an occaisional income for the land owner to a
> source of regular income.  Last ten years the owners have taken an
> interest in planting to the future.  Last 5 years owners have have
> recognized the need for managment.  Not all, of course, but a higher
> number than previously.

And I've also seen where woodlot owners wiped out the stand because of high
stumpage prices.  Short term gain.  Everyone has been trying to get the
NIPF to manage better, for decades.  I haven't seen much progress, in my
neck of the woods.  Slash for cash, diameter limit cuts, high grading, all
still go on.  Forestry information comes from a lot of different sources,
all with different economic interests, which leave the NIPF dazed and
confused.  A lot of times, they just throw their hands up and walk away,
doing nothing.  We have high stumpage for sawlogs, but low stumpage for
pulp/firewood.  Most thinnings are done in the sawlog classes.

> I agree with Joe as well, he also said that some harvest on fed land is
> necessary, but not cut all old growth. No, not all southern wood being
> consumed in south, cheaper to import from Canada in your neck of the
> woods, we export to asia and europe.  There is also a stigma in your
> part of the world against Southern Yellow Pine.  Go figure.

The SYP stigma remains pretty good, as far as I know.  We just can't get
it.  In the '60s, that was all there was.  Now we get twisted crap, due to
too much juvenile wood.  SYP does make great flooring, but its real hard to
get here.  Never could figure how they could truck that distance and still
make a buck.  We have problems with southern mills invading our pallet
mills with cheap blocking, from time to time.

RDW