forestry in the former Soviet Union?

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Wed Nov 12 10:19:59 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> Softwood mills, in general, are decades ahead of most hardwood mills.
> Grade recovery is a higher factor than fiber recovery.  Computerized
> setworks are still a rarity, although the hand mill is getting harder to
> find.  Grapple skidders have come on strong in the last decade.  Feller
> bunchers are rarely seen.  I've seen a few forwarders, mostly by pulp
> cutters.  Felling done mainly with chain saw, and the circle mill still is
> the mainstay in most mills, although band resaws are coming on, and is
> probably the next link for higher production.

Here in Texas, and I would assume in the south in general, we are going
more and more to shears, and skidders have been the mainstay for years.
Feller bunchers are around, but sort of limited to what terrain they can
work (slopes).  Band saws are where it is at in Texas, usually only the
hard wood mills (older, smaller, and usually family fun) have the older
cirlce saws, but even that is changing.  Part of the problem is low
value for hard wood in Texas (stumpage from $65 to $125 per thousand
Doyle.

What is really changing is the increase in the number of portable (Wood
Mizer type) saw mills in the south.  Any body with a hundred acres and
$20,000 (Or $6000 for the North King) can be in the saw mill business.
They turn out some pretty good quality wood.  I am associated with four
samll mills that cut grade hardwood, two Wood mizer, one with a circle
saw and a North King, one with a Wood Mizer and a North King,  this last
one has a kiln and retail sales.  Quality is excellant, will custom cut,
and willing to work wierd stuff I bring in.

--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335

My Ego Stroke:  http://livingston.net/dstaples/