Logging on our National Forests

Emil Knutti eknutti at access.mountain.net
Thu Nov 13 14:15:56 EST 1997

Don Baccus <dhogaza at pacifier.com> wrote in article
<346a8cc5.0 at news.pacifier.com>...
> In article <3468DFE4.2C8B at mail.olympus.net>,
> Michael Hagen  <mhagen at mail.olympus.net> wrote:

Heavy snipping ...................

> >There are whole
> >National Forests existing where there were barren logged off and tax
> >delinquent lands less than century ago. Some of these, amazingly, have
> >spots in them people want to call wilderness.
>
> Name one.

The Monongahela National Forest located in West Virginia is one.  I know
because I live here.  In fact, the Monongahela was formed either just
before or just after the signing of the Weeks Act.  The purpose of that Act
was in part to reclaim land which had been stripped of timber and was
therefore a flood hazard.

What many people may not realize is that not all National Forest were part
of what is commonly thought of as the Public Domain.  A high percentage of
the Monongahela resulted from tax delinquent property or from property that
people thought they could not afford to pay the taxes on because it was
perceived to be worthless after the timber was removed and therefore sold
it VERY CHEAP!