Bill to end logging on federal lands introduced to congress HR 2789

Jeff Wilson jrwilson at gv.net
Fri Nov 14 13:00:12 EST 1997

Stephen Worley Anderson wrote:

> Larry Caldwell <larryc at teleport.com> wrote in article
> <xjia00O5IMyF091yn at teleport.com>...
> > When you look back on what some of the pioneers did, you
> have to
> > conclude that a bunch of them weren't that bright.
>
> (Much good commentary about the state of agriculture was
> here.)
>
> As a matter of fact, you don't have to conclude that.
> Many pioneers were
> liberty lovers escaping the rules, regimentation and
> crowded lands of long
> settled country.  They were willing to pay the price of
> fleeing to
> out-of-the-way places where they could claim their own
> property and live as
> they liked.  Naturally, such places were not located in
> the fertile plains
> of major rivers and the land was often not suited to
> intensive row farming,
> but with a little whiskey corn for cash, plenty of
> bountiful, wild forest
> from which to hunt and gather, and pigs let to roam they
> considered it
> living high on the hog, and they were free.

I am reading a book on Canadian Indians that was writtine in
the 30s.  It makes a strong point that once the anglos
started paying the indians for furs, the indians overhunted
their range, decimating the fur bearing species.  Also it
points out that the agricurtural indians tended to over till
the soil forcing they to move sites periodically.

Many people have a totally romantic picture of the early
pioneers and pre-columbian indians that is without any basis
in fact.  Subsitance living means just that, working hard
every day to survive.  This led to high infant mortality,
short life spans, periodic starvation, and death from
injuries and illness we have the luxury of ignoring.