Old Land Syndrom : informations ?

Francois PELLISSIER pellissier at univ-savoie.fr
Fri Nov 14 02:36:27 EST 1997

Dear netters,

I visited recently plantations of Pinus patula in South Africa. These
afforestations have been done on former agricultural lands. Curiously,
if plantations on previous grass land are succesfull, those located on
areas where soybean and maize were cultivated previously are
unsuccesfull. Foresters looked after pesticides residues, nutrients
deficiency, pathogens... but all seems OK. Because some weeds (Cyperus
esculentus) develop very intensively on such lands, I suspect that they
could release allelochemicals which could inhibit Pinus seedlings
establishment.

Do you know similar problems anywhere in the world.
Do you have any informations which could help to solve this ?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

--
Dr. François PELLISSIER