Old Land Syndrom : informations ?

Timothy Hunley HUN60 at webtv.net
Sat Nov 15 03:18:15 EST 1997

My experience with pine plantations in Northeastern Ohio is very similar
to yours.

This is a mixed hardwood forest zone and most soils are rich in
nutrients suitable for good crop production where topography permits.
Pines are pioneer species and don't compete well with our native
vegitation.

I generally look for ground which has been worn out and eroded for
successful pine planting and even this has to be weeded  of hardwood
intrusion in its early developement .  Poverty grass is a good site
indicator here pointing out exposed subsoil and is usually the best
ground for pine plantings.

Some species of grasses although not in themselves dense competitors,
tend to drastically hold back pine developement for a number of years.
White pine is held back to 3 or 4 inches growth per year for a period
thirteen years if planted in Broom Grass.  Year forteen and up it takes
on a normal growthof 3 to 5 foot per year.

Another factor found in ground which has been previously cropped is  a
higher PH from limeing.  This can lead to seedling mortality due to
damping-off root fungus.

These are factors to contend with in this area and may give you a clue
to your problem.

My 1 & 1/2 cents worth.