Portable Sawmills

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Mon Nov 17 02:33:51 EST 1997

Ron Wenrich wrote:

> >  What ever mill you buy, if a band mill, buy the optional
> > saw sharpening setup.  Save you money in the long run.
>
> As long as you don't count in your time and initial investment.  Bands run
> $10-12.  A sharpener costs $3500, and you can get about 7 sharpenings
> before the band is Elvis.  Best to send them out to be sharpened.
> Woodmizer does it, as well as several locals.  Even after its sharpened by
> a "professional" doesn't mean it will cut well.

Au contrair, mon amie.  Woodmizer saw sharpening set up under $2000.00,
can be had around $1500.00.  Your $10 to $12 price is what is paid for
home jig saw blades, not the 1 1/4 inch for the mizer.

> >You can get in the saw mill business from anywhere from $10,000 up,
> > depending on what you add to the basics.
>
> At that price, you'll have some pretty shoddy equipment, usually antiques
> past their prime.  Although, a good stationary handmill can be bought for
> that price.  But lifting those logs onto the headblocks is a real
> backbreaker!

North King sells at $6000, up with add ons, it is work, but we are not
talking about a production mill.  And yes, it is hard work, if you lift
logs, we prefer to roll them. (North King a ground mill)  Any saw mill
is work, the portable ones almost make it fun.

Production for these small mills run to 1500 bd ft a day, working day.
Usually lower.  Keeping sharp blades essential.

--
Don Staples