USA capital gains tax on timber

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Mon Nov 17 10:12:09 EST 1997

Taxes is NOT one of my favorite subjects and I don't know anywhere near
as much as I should. The subject seldom comes up in my work, but in my
recent timber sale, the landowner said he'll consider a capital gains
treatment of the profits.

I know that I'll have to come up with an estimate of the value of the
timber when he bought the property.

But I vaguely seem to recall that there was a major overhaul of capital
gains treatment on timber recently. Was it done away with?

So, what's the scoop? Der Forestmeister is in the dark on this one.

Joe