The debate

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Mon Nov 17 02:41:32 EST 1997

In article <64kobf$9h2$1 at agate.berkeley.edu>,
forags at nature.Berkeley.EDU (Al Stangenberger) wrote:

> That's how it's done in California - all Timber Harvest Plans must be approved
> by a Registered Professional Forester, and all sales on private land
> are inspected for compliance with the Forest Practice Act by the CA Dept. of
> Forestry.

Oregon also requires notification before any operations on forest land,
including herbicide application, thinning, road construction, logging,
etc.

Joe just seems to think that foresters are the answer to the landowner's
prayer, and can't seem to understand why lots of landowners don't feel
that way.  If you're an industrial owner and never see your trees, you
for sure need a forester.  If you're a small woodland owner, you keep
foresters on a tight leash.  If you don't, they'll try to treat your
land like industrial forest land.  Some industrial processes work OK
for small landowners, but a lot of them are totally unsuitable.

I realize I'm pissing in the American Pie here, but I've heard a lot
of small landowners say the same thing with no prompting from me.  You
can make a nice profit from niche markets that industrial foresters
ignore completely.  In fact, lots of foresters think they know it all,
when it needs to be a more specialized trade.  A forester good at
marketing may not know much about silviculture.

I'm still trying to figure out the basis for all the variation in
thinning operations I've seen, but "professional foresters" prescribed
a 50% variation in stocking density on two nearly identical sites only
3 miles apart that I walked last weekend.  The landowner needs to
realize that what a forester tells you is just advice, and how you
take it is up to you.

> There have been disciplinary actions against RPF's, and at least one license
> revocation that I know of.

That's interesting.  As far as I can tell, there's no mechanism for
professional review at all in Oregon.  The only way a forester could
lose his license is by breaking the law, i.e. the Forest Practices Act.

One logger lost his license last year for not following slope
restrictions next to a river.  I suppose if a logger could lose his
license, a forester could too.

-- Larry