The debate

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Nov 18 12:32:25 EST 1997

Don Staples wrote:

> There is a Great Rift Valley between state and private, giving one side
> regulatory authority over the over requires a hell of a lot of bridge
> building.
> --

Nobody doing gov. regulation, any kind of regulation, in any gov. should
have less than 10 years experience doing that which they are going to be
regulating.

My local burro .... I mean State Service Forester is proably the best in
Mass. because he grew up in a logging/sawmill family. He's a stickler
over details but he's a "regular guy" so he gets his job done while
ruffling the fewest feathers. Others in the state, especially if they
have a masters degree think of themselves as God's Gift to Forestry, and
they ain't got a clue- they do ruffle feathers- and that results in too
much friction in the industry- not in the public's interest, all things
considered.

Despite my flaming against burros, I don't mind if they are experienced
and well trained, because I am also an environmentalist. Regulation is
not necessarily evil, but it must be done professionally.

One young burro buck, right out of school... I met him on a site to
discuss our difference of opinions. He was wearing a brand new uniform
which made him look like a colonel in the marines. He picked up his
Biltmore stick, pointed it into the words and said, "Follow me!" I stood
there and couldn't believe it. This guy thought he was he was Napolean.
Then he led me to where I marked some firewood. He pointed to a 4" beech
I marked and said, "why did you incorrectly mark this young sugar maple
for cutting????" Just imagine how reacted to this! I won't go into
details... I'll leave it to your imagination. <G>